It’s sad but true that many people fall off the new year diet wagon by 14thJanuary. So if you are on a new year diet, or trying to keep weight off, and you are finding it hard to stay motivated, read on. Staying motivated can be a challenge but it is possible. So here are some tips to help you keep motivated and keep on track with your new year diet.
- If you do go off course don’t give up or think that means you cannot diet. Just accept you wobbled a bit and decide to get back on track from this very moment. Don’t beat yourself up – instead concentrate your energy on keeping on with the diet in future.
- Remember that most people don’t lose the weight they put on each Christmas. So year on year it just piles on. So its important if you want to lose the weight to try and shift it right away.
- Have you lost any weight or bulk at all in the first two weeks? Smile and feel positive as you think about even the smallest amount that you might have lost.
- Write down all the reasons why you went on the diet in the first place. Keep this list to hand and add new ones as you think about them. When you are funding it hard look back at the list.
- Think about all the food on your diet that you do love. Smile as you think about them and the fact that you can eat them on your diet.
- Remember a diet is not for ever. Take it one small step at a time. You don’t have to conjure up motivation for the rest of your diet – just the next few hours or day.
- Join in with group activities, go to classes, call on your friends, do a hypnosis CD, download an app to help you monitor your weight and food. Take inspiration from others. That’s what Fiona who regularly contributes to my Facebook page does; she recomends Dietgirl. Do anything that will help you keep on track.
- Visualise your end goal – how you will look when you reach your target weight. Get out photos of you the size you want to be or get a picture of someone else and put your head on it so you have a positive image to concentrate on. Make this your phone home screen or computer desktop and smile and feel positive everytime you look at it.
- Up your exercise – even little things like doing a short 10 minute walk or a quick swim can make all the difference. Exercise makes you feel better and helps to supress appetite. And obviously it burns off calories too!
- Lastly – if you are finding the diet you have chosen really hard work, have a good think about whether it’s the right diet for you. If you want some hints about this have a look at my last blog post.
So good luck. And keep us updated about how you are doing or sharing any other motivation tips you have.
Love your body and love yourself.