Here’s a lovely recipe for lemon cake, ready to eat in less than half an hour and no chocolate anywhere in sight!!
50g golden syrup or agave
50g equivalent of sweenener (I used splenda)
2 lemons (ring and juice)
50g ground almonds
50g self raising wholemeal flour
1/2 – 1 tsp baking powder
Lemon curd or marmalade
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C or gas mark 6.
1. Grate the lemons to get all the rind and squeeze to get out the juice.
2. Separate the eggs into two bowls.
2. Add the sweetener and syrup to the yolks and beat until thick and creamy.
3. Beat the grated lemon rind, lemon juice, any lemon flesh, the almonds and flour into the yolk mixture.
4. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
5. Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture with a metal spoon taking care not to over mix.
6. Put into a ready greased tin. I used one but you could use two small tins.
7. Bake for about 12 minutes if in one tin (reduce to about 8 to 10 if in 2 tins)
8. Turn out sponges & cool on a wire rack.
9. Cut the cake in half if only one, then spread some lemon curd or marmalade in the middle and then place one half (cake) ontop. If you want, sieve some icing sugar over the top of the cake.